GAZfuckingPACHO


If there is one thing I could never put in my mouth and swallow (and you know, I put A LOT of things in my mouth and swallow), that would be the Spanish cold soup called GAZPACHO. It’s a concoction of tomatoes, garlic, oil and bread crumbs, and is supposed to be very good for the health.


I remember when my ex-boyfriend Paco, use to prepare that for me for breakfast and I was like—¨I’m not drinking fucking garlic for breakfast!¨ However, people do all sorts of things for love (or so I thought it was) and I couldn’t help but to just close my eyes and swallow that slimy orangey mixture of vegetables without breathing.


I thought I would be getting used to it like in the case of Olives. I never eat olives before as they taste ¨raro” (weird). However, one day, I just found out I was unconsciously eating them while I was watching TV. Now, I can finish a can of olives on a two hour movie marathon.


Spanish people love them especially during the summer season because it is refreshing and really cools one off. I never have proven its effects though because after we broke up, I swore never to even take a sip of it ever again.


So how does it taste like? Well, Imagine oil, salt and garlic, vinegar all combined and all put in a blender to bring some froth…it´s sour, salty, tangy..I really can´t explain; but for me, it is just repulsive.

I don´t know Paco´s whereabouts now, although I´m sure he is still sipping Gazpacho for breakfast. Looking back, I think I made the right decision…





(flickr photo by manthatcooks / recipe from www.andalucia.com/taste )

GAZPACHO ANDALUZ

75 g stale bread (Spanish loaf, not packaged bread), crusts removed
1 kg ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeded
3 cloves garlic2 tsp saltpinch of ground cumin
6 tbsp olive oil
5 tbsp vinegar
about 300 ml water
For the garnish:100 g green peppers, finely chopped100 g cucumber, peeled and finely chopped1 small onion, finely chopped1 small tomatoes, finely chopped2 slices bread, toasted and diced

Put the bread to soak in enough water to cover for 10 minutes. Squeeze out excess water and put the bread in a blender or processor. Cut the peeled tomatoes into chunks and add to the blender with the garlic, salt and cumin. Process until puréed (in two or more batches if necessary). With the motor running add the oil in a slow stream, then add the vinegar. The mixture will thicken and change colour as the oil emulsifies. Add a little of the water and transfer to a serving bowl or pitcher. Stir in water to the desired consistency. Chill until serving time. Place the chopped peppers, cucumbers, onion, tomato and breadcrumbs in individual small bowls or in a divided dish and serve them as accompaniments. Gazpacho may also be served in glasses or mugs for sipping. Omit the garnishes.